One of my favorite areas in Tokyo, Shinjuku is comparable to New York City. There are so many cool areas in Shinjuku that it could take a year to discover them all. You will see skyscrapers, red light district, golden gai with 200 miniature bars. Some consider the areas in Shinjuku seedy which could be true. I traveled to Tokyo alone, and as a single girl in her 30’s, I felt totally safe in this area.
Chuo or Yamanote Line to Shinjuku Station
Places to Go
- Shopping District: Several department stores in the area and great shopping
- Skyscraper Area: Check out Park Hyatt where Lost in Translation was filmed
- Golden Gai: 200 miniature bars crammed into several streets
- Pachinko Parlors: Clubs where girls get paid to talk to you
- Brothels/Love Hotels: Sex hotels you can rent by the hour
- Yakitori Street: Street with seedy bars where Yakitori is sold
- Shinjuku Gyoen: Amazing park-definitely check out for Cherry Blossom season
- Check out Ace Bar in Golden Gai; the owner will be sure to entertain you
- MUST go to the Robot Restaurant
- Bring cash because there is an “entrance fee” at most of the bars in Golden Gai. When you get to the entrance there will be a list of the fees for each bar. It is average 300 yen.