Also known as NOLA, New Orleans is one of the coolest places I have visited in the USA. After going there last year for a work convention, I questioned why it took me so long to visit this wonderful place. If you are a live music and jazz fan, then this is definitely the place to go. I spent a day walking around the french quarter listening to amazing music on the street for FREE. This is a great place to come with a group of friends or even a significant other.
Places to Go
- French Quarter
- Jackson Square
- Acme Oyster House
- Carousel Bar & Lounge
- Voodoo Shop or Museum
- Bars on Bourbon Street
More detail on blog post: How to Spend One Day in New Orleans
- Transportation: I am not sure if you will need a rental car if you are staying near bourbon street. Everything is walking distance, and there is Uber available to use as well. Renting a bike could be a cheap and fun way to get around.
- Lodging: Hotels average around $200 per night to stay near the French Quarter. When I was there for work I stayed at the Marriott which was in a really good location, and everything was in walking distance.
- Food: Dinner platters cost around $15-$20. You can find a po-boy for around $10. Drinks cost around $8. Do not leave New Orleans without trying a hurricane.
- If you like oysters, you must try the baked oysters at Acme
- Have a drink at the carousel bar. It actually moves very slowly.
- Buy a voodoo doll as a souvenir on bourbon street
- Eat a beignet with hot chocolate at Cafe Du Monde after drinking at the bars