The first city that I touched down in South America, Lima, Peru is an exquisite place with wonderful people and delicious food. The summer weather in Lima reminds me of California, hot during the day and cool at night. There are mountains in the backdrop and the beach is seen off a cliff. The beach in Lima is rocky though and the water is said to be contaminated. Therefore, I suggest looking, not touching! Although there are a lot of surfers that come to this beach.
Places to Go
- Transportation: Buses and micros (small buses) will be the cheapest option. The drivers of these are very rude and are terrible drivers from what I saw. I almost got in several accidents when I was there. Taxis are a great option as they are not that expensive. If you do not know Spanish they will easily rip you off. Try and find a reliable taxi at the airport.
- Lodging: I would suggest staying in Miraflores instead of downtown Lima. Prices in downtown are cheaper, but there are not many tourists there. I was told it is not as safe. In Miraflores there are more tourists therefore the hostels and hotels are kept up a lot better.
- Food: The cost of food generally in Lima outside of Miraflores is between 5-15 Soles. The average cost of food in Miraflores is around 10 Soles. Definitely do not leave Lima without trying a Pisco Sour.
- Download the Easytaxi App
- Check out the paragliding on Miraflores beach. To go paragliding it is $80 USD for ten minutes as well as a GoPro video of the whole thing.
- Be careful swimming in the ocean water off Miraflores. I was told by locals it is contaminated.