How to Get to Machu Picchu
How to get from Cusco to Machu Picchu:
1. Book a flight into Cusco from Lima, Peru or a nearby country. The Cusco Airport is very small and it is easy to get in and out of.
2. Take a cab from Cusco Airport to Historic Cusco City Center. The cost is about 35 soles ($12).
3. Arrive at a Tour Center if you pre-booked to get your tickets. If not there are plenty of tour companies that you can check out.
4. Take a cab from Cusco City Center to wherever your shuttle leaves from.
5. Take a shuttle to get to the train (PeruRail). The shuttle from Cusco City Center to the train at Ollantaytambo is about two hours. There is a great restaurant with wifi called Tawas that you can hang out at until the train comes.
6. Catch the train at 4pm from Ollantaytambo. The ride was actually pretty comfortable and there were some amazing views on the way. The train also offers snacks and refreshments. Definitely go for the Inca Tea if you are feeling altitude sickness.
7. Arrive at Machu Picchu Pueblo. The train time is about 2 hours from Ollantaytambo. You can pretty much walk anywhere from the train station as the town is very small. There are a lot of bars and restaurants to choose from before you head to bead.